Friday, September 22, 2006

I've survived a week!

That's kind of an accomplishment or something, right?? We're not done training by a long shot, though - still another four or so days next week before we get Real Assignments. And from what I hear? There will be many, many Assignments since Litigation is ridiculously busy.

They put so much time and money into training us, and I sincerely appreciate the effort, but I think my brain was full at some point on Tuesday. There is just too much to take in - everything from witness interviews, to online research, to library orientation, to document production and management. We spent the entire day today on just document production and discovery techniques and it's just overwhelming - the main thrust of the matter is basically that we can get into deep, deep trouble for screwing this up, to the tune of billion dollar verdicts and big trouble from regulators. Mostly I'm alarmed at how no one else in training seems utterly terrified at the prospect of being in charge of litigation analysts, assistants, paralegals, secretaries and temps. I don't want this kind of responsibility...waaaah!

Of course, getting used to a full working day is tough. The commute to work is only about 45 minutes including walking to and from the subway since I take an express train most of the way, and of course working past 8pm means you can take a car home and charge it to the client. I foresee much of this! I've already been staffed on a pro bono death penalty case, at my own request, and the rest is totally up in the air. At least things are sweet on the home front - Josh has been absolutely amazing!! Not only has he been sweet and comforting, he's got the whole apartment straightened out, dishes done, laundry folded...it's incredible.

It could be a while before the next update because things are so up in the air, but I'll try to post even brief bits whenever I can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you survived your first week! Hope all is still going well!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all is a-ok so far! Hope it's still going well....!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, your job is sounding so excited! And this comes from someone in the IT business. But I read all the John Grisham's novels and you sound like you could become the main character in one of them.

Thanks for posting your blog's address in the EHell forum. I already used your Century 21 tip (loved the store!).

LuBrasil

Anonymous said...

Update!