Monday, September 04, 2006

Have news, must start spreading...

Wow, so - I've been an official Noo Yawker for about four days now and I'm oscillating between being deliriously happy and a little stunned too. It shouldn't be this overwhelming, really, seeing that I was here for three months last summer, but it's different when you start to feel like you actually belong here. It's not even like I'm from a small town or anything but it's hard not to feel a little, well, provincial. I honestly felt giddy with happiness when I discovered there is an exellent sushi restaurant literally across the street from my apartment. There's a drugstore downstairs and an Indian restaurant next door. Starbucks is a city block south and Blockbuster is a block north. The subway is a five minute walk for a local train, ten minutes for an express. For the rent I'm paying I frankly should be able to be beamed anywhere I need to go, but this will suffice for now.

I stayed with my friend A in Chelsea for a few days and she was just delightful (much much love to you A!) - she's a mid level associate at a large New York firm and has taken me under her wing a little with advice and introductions. Not only did she insist I stay with her for a few days, but she had set up a whole bunch of social activities for the long weekend as well as tours of where I needed to go to buy initial household items and the cool places to eat and just generally "be seen". On Friday we went out for Mexican in Chelsea; Saturday we had very swanky Italian dinner in Soho and then went to a cozy little wine bar after; Sunday we went for a dinner party in the East Village; and finally today I came home and tackled a whole bunch of household chores I'd been putting off.

I promise to keep you all updated from now on - it's probably more sensible than my former mass emails - and I hope you all keep in touch either here or via email. I'm so glad I got to see most of the Toronto people before I left but those of you I missed I hope to be back in the fall for at least a weekend!

xoxoxo,
Sultana

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just spent the day with a girl who's living in NYC, and she's also paying an astronimical amount of money for a tiny little place in Manhatten, and couldn't be happier.

It made me miss NY, although I've only been there once. I think it's the kind of place that feels surreal to live in, even if you've been there awhile. It's just too cool.

Anyway, I've got you bookmarked now, and I'll check in here and there and see what you're up to.

My blog, which is also rarely updated, is http://altergirl.livejournal.com I used to write a lot more when we were living in Japan, however now that we're back in Vancouver, life seems more real, and it's the surreal that's fun to write about.

-Megan (altergirl)