Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's 8:07 a.m. on a Wednesday morning and I'm lounging on my couch, unshowered, just coming off my most recent period of madness at work. Normally I leave the house at around 8:45 to get to work for around 9:30 but I'm treating myself to a late start today. Fortunately we aren't forced to have any real set hours at work so no one really cares about when you get in. Definitely one perk of being a so-called professional ;).

Last week I got put on a new assignment, which brings me up to five cases - three paying clients and two pro bono criminal cases (one appellate, one that will likely end up as a plea bargain). They all sort of just vomited on me last week, with every single one becoming active. That doesn't happen too often but when it does, frankly, it's just not cool. I had a few 14 hour days in there, plus a 12 hour day on Saturday. It's probably still not over, but I'm not above taking advantage of a quiet moment or two in the middle of it all. It could definitely be worse - my girlfriend on a bigger case billed 100 hours over six days last week. She was working until 6 am every day, going home to shower and sleep for a few hours and coming back. Total madness. I'm already stealthily thinking of my exit options...not because it's overall such a horrible place to be, at least not in the short term, but I just don't understand how anyone could keep this up as a lifestyle choice. They must have more fortitude than me, or at least be able to turn down assignments with more good grace, because I haven't discovered that trick yet. I'm a people pleaser. I tried to book off two vacations days - that's right, days - and am cancelling both because there is just too much going on for me to be gone for a day at a time. No wonder so many of us turn to drink!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet merciful crap! I had no idea it was this bad. Are they at least letting you have a couple of days off for Christmas and New Years?

I think I'll do like mum and prolong my studies for several years.

Anonymous said...

Damn Sultana... sounds like you've got a full plate! I came here to check up on you, since it's your birthday and all. I hope you ain't working today. Aliya and I wish you much play at work and a happy birthday!

leslie @ definitely not martha said...

Hey HumanUnit!

Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and all that. :)

Glad to hear that you are surviving New York thus far...looking forward to more updates, but just wanted to say hello!

:)

Rbm.