Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I'm so excited by the discovery that people actually still read this that I'm inspired to post again. That, and the 7:30 a.m. meeting that I was supposed to attend this morning was pushed back to 8:00 and I didn't realize it until I woke up at an indecent hour and checked my Blackberry. So, may as well update while I can.

I think the most recent string of celebrity divorces is giving me some kind of subconscious angst. I'm so not a stressful wife in any way, but I had this awful, vivid dream last night that Josh had an affair and left me for a very young blonde girl who looked suspiciously like Carrie Underwood. This dream went on forever! I had a few hysterical fits and tried to beat the crap out of him more than once during it...and even when I woke up I was disoriented and sad. Totally strange to feel that kind of violence of emotion while dreaming and then still feel it once you've woken up.

I left work at the unheard of (well, in recent weeks) hour of 6:30 last night to hit Macy's. The festive decor at the department stores in New York City is truly something you have to see at least once in your lifetime. Every suburbanite in a 100 mile radius drags their kids here to look at the windows, which accounts for much of the insane foot traffic in those areas on the weekends. Still, it's not something you can bask in for too long because the frenzied pace follows you everywhere. I just went to find a reasonably priced (!) clutch for this black tie dinner I'm attended on Saturday that I had seen on their website, but no banana when I actually arrived - apparently not everything that they have on their website is available in the store. I did learn, however that there are some fugly purses out there selling for prices that you would. not. believe.

While we've on the topic of prices that you wouldn't believe...there's been something that's been bugging me lately and that is, who are these people browing the Michael Kors and Chloe bags at every department store I go into and how can they all have so much more money than I do? I'm genuinely curious. This entire city seems full of people with limitless disposable income and I don't know if it's just because billionaire hedge fund managers' wives casually shop at Barneys with the rest of us or I'm just doing something terribly wrong with my income management.
I make a decent salary and yet to me, a handbag from Banana Republic is a naughty indulgence. I used to feel fairly well dressed with most of my clothes from Banana or Ann Taylor but compared to the other lawyers at my firm I feel frumpy and poor - lost in a sea of Jimmy Choo, Prada and Coach on the cheap end. I have a mental block against feeling that $600 is a reasonable price to pay for a handbag, I think, even though this city has already completely warped my preconceived notions of what a "lot of money" is (happens when $3000 a month goes to rent alone!). I feel like I'm occupying a strange place right now, wanting to fit in and be stylish and not stand out as "that girl in the hideous polyester pants and faux croc shoes" but neither do I want to completely succumb to the pressures around me. Someone reccommended this book, The Overspent American, that I think I'm going to check out for some validation over Christmas.

Morgan - if you're reading this - best wishes for your wedding in ten days!! From what I hear about the weather in your city right now you'll have the perfect winter day that you were planning for. Can't wait to see pics :).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well hello! I didn't realize you were keeping a blog... just saw about it at WBs. You can now add me to your list of (soon-to-be) faithful readers. I'm glad to see you haven't dropped off the face of the earth since you left Canada. I do hope you keep updating your blog so that I can live (and shop!) vicariously through you.

:) Jen (trannifer)

Anonymous said...

so nice to see you back! christmas in new york - sounds great.

Raegun said...

Oh to be lost in a sea of Jimmy Choo...I envy you! Remember: a black suit is a black suit - spend the money on the shoes & handbags!

Marcie (CleoCan)
www.raegun.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Sultana! Long time!

I was soooo (pathetically, almost) happy to find not one, but TWO updates this morning. I will continue to read faithfully, so don't leave us hanging too long. :)

I love hearing about your life in NYC. I'm envious!

Anonymous said...

Sultana! Long time!

I was ridiculously happy to find not one, but TWO updates this morning. You totally brightened up my Monday!

I love hearing about your adventures in NYC. Continued success and happy shopping to you!

Don't leave us hanging so long next time... ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I see what happened... I tried to leave a comment this morning and thought it didn't work, but maybe it did. I didn't notice the "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." before. DUH!

So you probably have two comment sform me, plus this one! Feel free to delete at least two of them. :)