Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's true. Oh god, it's true.

Everything "they" said about how you just don't know wtf you did with your time before you had kids. Completely and utterly true. I mean, we do need to account for the fact that I've always been a bit of a loser and it's not like my social card was always full - there's been many a weekend where I (*shameful face*) didn't leave my apartment except for a quickie Starbucks or drugstore run. But in hindsight, my past life stretches back into time in my imagination as an idyllic period of unlimited, well-rested opportunity. Even if the grandest of my accomplishments has been to catch every single Law & Order marathon on TNT that's aired in the last two years.

It's not that I don't get periods of opportunity or frankly even idleness these days. It's just an entirely new animal...like the time I get to mindlessly surf the web while my daughter is nursing, or to read quietly next to her crib while I'm desperately willing her to sleep longer than twenty minutes. Could I pop in an exercise video while she sleeps? Perhaps...but it's hard to work up the motivation when the landscape could change so drastically in a matter of minutes. It's just not an appealing idea: peel myself off the couch, get into my workout gear, clear furniture, grab my weights and pop in video, only to be stopped five minutes in by a wail from the next room. What? What's that you say? Sometimes about excuses? Well...mebbeh so. :) But the general point stands...what in the name of everything that's holy did I ever do with my hours and hours of spare time? Seriously? Why didn't I learn a language? Run for office? Write a couple of bodice rippers? Bake up a wedding cake or two on the weekends?

Piglet's awake, so not much time to chat, but just a little snapshot of this moment in time. We're in the middle of trying to i
mpose some control on the chaos that is her wee life. Mostly in the form of regular naps in her crib. Every single day is a new adventure...predictability ain't her strong suit. Mostly I worry about getting things in order before she starts daycare in - gulp - less than two months. But apparently many changes are in store between months three and five, so I remain optimistic.

Piglet says hi.

2 comments:

C. said...

that is the best picture ever! I love the face!

Anonymous said...

she has the best expressions!