Saturday, June 14, 2008

The First of the Great Parenting Debates

Pretty much everyone knows that I have a not very seekrit obsession with online forums (not chat rooms mind you - chatting hurts my head - but more like discussion rooms). Usually these forums are about a whole lot of nothing but the parenting ones are actually pretty informative and marginally a better use of my time. I still can't shake the feeling that I'm a freak of nature in comparison to a lot of the other moms on there, though...everything from where I live, to where I work, to my plans for breastfeeding and vaccinations and child care seem to fall squarely into the minority view. It doesn't make me feel unsure of myself or afraid that I'm going about this all wrong (well, not more than usual, anyway), but it does make me wonder as to how the lack of good examples ("good" in the last loaded sense; just "good" meaning an example I would actually want to follow, that fits with my life) in my life are going to impact how I end up parenting.

Right now, I have no idea what September is going to bring. That's scary enough...and then there's the issue of five and a half months later, when I need to head back into the office. I haven't sorted out the full time vs. flex time issue, or childcare beyond the first few months, or how we're going to manage with J's increasingly stupid travel requirements, etc. Perhaps naively, I have no real fears about how my marriage will be affected. I mean, I know that logically things will be different, but having had the good fortune and sense to marry a hyper-responsible, considerate and hard-working man, it's never even occured to me that he wouldn't pull his weight and more.

This article from the New York Times, however, suggests that this assumption on my part could be a wee bit over-optimistic. It's a long article, but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who is interested in sex equality issues, especially with regard to co-parenting. It's given me a lot to think about:
  • increased "flexibility" in women's work being seen as the reason why she "needs" to do more around the house: the article seems to suggest that this is an issue of perception (so, regardless of what the woman actually does outside the house, the couple perceive her work to be more "flexible," whatever that means!) and perhaps even unconscious "life choiecs" and trade-offs along the way that result in the woman working a more flexible job. I would never have thought my job to be particularly flexible, but from a comparative perspective, it is. My firm is one of the few that actually allows flex-time schedules (what they privately think of it of course is another matter...). J's job, while not quite as demanding in terms of raw hours necessary, simply couldn't contemplate a part-time schedule since he's the manager.
  • women asserting control over the home: this isn't talked about explicitly as a control issue in the article but I think that it is, or at least it would be for me. The article is absolutely right in that, seeing that society still largely views the home and parenting as being the woman's primary responsibility, any perceived defects like the children being dressed a little funny or a messy house are assigned to being the woman's "fault." And so women are more invested in the results! Aside from that, however - and this is huge - many women take ownership over household and childcare duties because it sets them up as the "experts" in that particular area. I see it all the time on the mommy boards. Often the same women who complain about their husbands' lack of involvement in the households seem to be pretty smug about how their baby can only be comforted by mommy.
  • setting up roles of "master" and "apprentice": I absolutely see how this has already started! It's alarming really. J, bless him, barely still understands what we hired the $1500 doula for. Fair enough; at this point his life hasn't changed quite enough for him to be fully engaged in all of this, and I don't think that's making excuses. But I'm the one who has done the reading on the diapers we'll need, and the stroller I want, and what vaccinations are important and when sleep training should start. I just assumed he'd get up to speed once I explained it all to him and the baby was here, but have we already anticipated and accepted the "helper role" for him?

Of course, the big question that looms over all of this - assuming that such idyllic co-parenting is even possible and desirable - is now...are we really willing to play ball? This isn't just about J stepping up, of course; I'm talking about me. Would sharing the household tasks mean that I'd have to start taking out the garbage? Giving the dog his baths? Learn how to make coffee that doesn't taste like hot liquid poo? The whole thing will call for some co-effort :).

Off to post the article on the mommy boards...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! I always like your stuff on Wedding Bells, and usually I agree with what you're saying. It's funny how having the baby changes things, though -- like I never would have thought 2 years ago that I'd be a stay-at-home dad changing diapers all day and chasing our son around a chair. It's fun, but strange in a way, because it's not considered the societal norm (although it's definitely becoming more accepted now). When we're at the grocery store, I can't even count the number of times people ask, "Where's mommy?" and I reply, "Oh, she's at work." Their reaction is ALWAYS the same: "Dady is babysitting today! That's so nice for mommy to have a day off!" First off, what I'm doing is called parenting. Secondly, mommy gets days off and they're called "weekends", when she doesn't have to be at her full-time job.

The really interesting thing about our dynamic, though, is that I think I'm starting to get the stay-at-home-parent (I'll be gender neutral) resentment happening a bit. I find myself noticing more and more what my wife does and doesn't do around the house when she gets home from work. And I totally understand that she's tired, and maybe putting the dishes away isn't her first priority, but little things like that start to jump out at you. It's weird, and it's difficult to completely divide things evenly between both parents. Wow, that was a long rant. Sorry about spewing all over your comments section!

Anonymous said...

That article (or your summation of it, rather - haven't had time to read the whole thing) makes a very insightful point about the expert/apprentice roles parents tend to take on. And it can be extremely frustrating - to both parties. As a mom I was deeply curious from day one about what was going on with my body, and all that was to come. So I read - and read - and read. I tried to get my husband to read too, but he's just "not into parenting books." Fair enough - I never really thought I was either, or internet forums for that matter, but I realised quickly how much I was learning through all my time online and skimming through the library's parenting section. Now I've set myself up as the "expert" which I'd really rather not be! I'd like to be able to debate the finer points of our parenting choices, yet I find that my partner sometimes gets defensive when I'm able to argue a parenting point better and to back up my opinions with valid research. And yet this was his choice.