Saturday, February 17, 2007

What's with the 'tude...

About etiquette? Seriously? As if using the right fork and stationery were ever meant to be so inflammatory!

Of course...anyone who knows anything about etiquette would know that it's hardly about cutlery and inner envelopes. It's about respect, courtesy, graciousness, thoughtfulness, generosity...all those things that never go out of style and are not only things that miserable old biddies with wagging fingers care about.

One issue that particularly interests me is how people who are anti-etiquette have been successful as recasting it as a class issue. I guess that's not surprising when harpies like these get play in the popular media (they had good advice in some cases but honestly, the pearl-clutching, modern martini-eschewing, Sinatra-worshipping really grated on me). I don't care about white after Labour Day, I care about good manners, and it's such a crying shame that some people seem to think that only snobby people would concern themselves with being mannerly. There is one particular poster on a forum who I would dearly love to slap, hard. She keeps screeching about how etiquette was made up by rich people and how she loves to rub her "poverty" in their faces by doing crass things. ??? As if etiquette finds poverty to be crass! What's crass is people straining to live beyond their means and expecting other people to bankroll it. There is no shame in living and entertaining simply...I would have far more respect for someone who had a lovely dessert and coffee wedding reception for everyone they wanted there than someone who felt that they had to make a big splash at a fancy hotel and then asked for cash gifts and asked me to pay for my own drinks and dinner after they clearly B-listed me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. I see WB still has her evil grip on you. :) For that reason alone, I try to avoid said section. Gets my blood boiling too. But I agree with your sentiments. But don't tell anyone. I might get flamed! hee hee.

Anonymous said...

HumanUnit,

From my experience on WB, I have come to the realization that we are now in an era where the wedding "guest" is expected to foot their own bill when it comes to dinner or drinks, they are expected to bring a monetary gift, and should not expect a personalized thank you note; unless you consider a picture of the bride and groom "personalized".

And if for any reason you do not agree with said “bad behaviour”, when someone will post their question regarding the proper etiquette of cash bar weddings, you better keep it to yourself because it seems to me that getting married has now become about how much money you can shake out of your weary guests.